Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My wife is going to Nicargaua while pregnant. Looking for Malaria advice?

She will be there for one week, she will be 18 weeks pregnant. We were curious if any pregnant woman have traveled to Managua and what their experiences were with Malaria, Malaria pills, and any other health issue?My wife is going to Nicargaua while pregnant. Looking for Malaria advice?
According to the Centers for Disease Control Traveler's Health website, the risk of malaria is only inherent in rural areas of Nicaragua and the outskirts of Managua. Your wife should be fine without any malaria pills if she stays within the city. With regards to malaria pills during pregnancy, there are no known studies that can attest to the pills' safety or harmful effects to a fetus. Because of that, they recommend use of the pills for treatment or suppression of malaria once contracted as long as the benefit outweighs the risk to the fetus. I myself took malaria pills last year during a trip to South Africa and was fine with regards to side effects. However, I wasn't pregnant at the time. Now that I am, I would not even consider taking these pills. Any drug a pregnant woman takes crosses the placenta and enters the fetus and I would not risk exposing my baby to the unkown effects of any drug. If your wife will venture out of the city of Managua, I would suggest she wear pants and long sleeves and get a good mosquito repellant instead. Good luck.My wife is going to Nicargaua while pregnant. Looking for Malaria advice?
Consult your OB-GYN!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment