Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Any advice would be appreciated...?

I am going to quit smoking and I was wondering if y'all could help me out by giving me some tips or advice or personal experience with what helped you or someone you know. Thank you in advance.Any advice would be appreciated...?
I was a smoker for many years (15) and quit about 20 years ago. At the time, smoking was becoming more and more restrictive and unpopular. There are many good approaches lately, and you can check out the American Cancer Society website for some tips. Many people find success with nicorette gum or the patches, and I believe they work best when combined with group therapy. Many will sing praises of having a support group of some type.


For me, it helped to realize that the pangs of desiring a cigarette would go away in 15 minutes, so if I could just hang tight during that time, the craving passed. I found taking short walks or walking up 1 or 2 flights of stairs were great helps. I was embarrassed to realize how out of shape I was, so the stairs were a good reminder. While some warn about avoiding situations in which you previously smoked (e.g., drinking) my worst problem was having the craving sneak up on me at unexpected times. I could gear myself up not to smoke when we would go out for a drink. Be kind to yourself; if you slip up, just start over. It is not the end of the world. You'll find that your sense of smell returns, and that is fun. Do it one day at a time. Treat smoking as you would any loss, going through the steps of grieving. At first you will be angry, because you are in this uncomfortable situation and suffering, and others really don't seem to care. You'll have denial (one cigarette won't hurt, etc.) but eventually you will get over it. It takes some time. I used to dream that I smoked and would wake up depressed that I gave in. It is a powerful addiction, so good luck to you.Any advice would be appreciated...?
I'm a person that can quit at the drop of a dime. You have to have a pack of cigarettes on hand when you're trying to quit, because not having them around make you want one even more, that's all in your mind, so if you have a pack lying around it will help you not crave one as bad. I know that sounds stupid but trust me it works. Remeber you control the cigs they don't control you. You will take one out and smoke it but you'll start smoking less everyday. Knowing you don't have something, that's what make you want it evern more, but when you have it you don't think about as much. Try it and let me know if it helped you...smile...
stay away from things that make you want to smoke. Friends that smoke, drinking, stress (even though that is hard), anything that will trigger it. before you quit make a list of things to do when you want to smoke. like doing sit ups, cleaning something, going for a walk, anything that can take you mind off of it. alot of the addiction is the hand to mouth habit, so buy healthy snacks for those moments. carrots, small suckers, jolly ranchers, crackers, the lists goes on and on. I have quit twice and these things all helped me. good luck and be strong you can do it!!
A friend of mine gave up about 5 years ago and he's always saying to me, ';You just have to give up the first one in the day and so long as you don't have that one you can't have the others.';

No comments:

Post a Comment